Monday 24 October 2011

Carefully crafted cocktails at Nightjar

Nightjar is a must-visit Prohibition-style drinking den for any cocktail lover. Hidden away just off the Old Street roundabout on City Road, never before did I imagine that this nondescript door would lead down to such a bar reminiscent of another era.

Recommended to book in advance, we were shown to our table and presented with a jar of popcorn by the attentive waitress. The cocktail menu took me a good twenty minutes to get my head around, with pages of 'pre-prohibition', 'prohibition', 'post-war' and 'signature' cocktails complete with fancy and mysterious ingredients.

I decided on a 'little entente' as it was one of the only vodka based concoctions. It included elderflower liqueur, grilled korean pear, kafir lime leaves and lemon, which appealed to my taste of fresh and fruity, but not too sweet. Quite randomly, it also had Blue Moon beer in there. I have to say that I didn't notice any beer taste, which might have been quite odd in a cocktail!

My second cocktail, shown in the photo below, was the Pedro Paramo - another beautifully presented potion.

This is an ideal place to pop for a couple, whether it's to kickstart the weekend, pre or post dinner drinks, on a date night or a casual cocktail with friends. You wouldn't need more than a couple to feel a little merry and warm inside, perfect for burrowing away in the wintery months and each drink feels like a treat, designed and crafted like an art piece. I just wish I could have tried and tested more - cocktails with dry ice, and on a more adventurous day, perhaps even the Coffee Cocktail that comes complete with a whole egg. Definitely worth the £10 splurge.


Two Pedro Paramo cocktails

No comments:

Post a Comment